Frequently Asked Questions

Have questions about the Grapevine Parks & Recreation Department?

20160605 DSCF6332.jpg


Question Answer
Does the Parks and Recreation Department have handicap accessible playgrounds throughout the City of Grapevine?Yes. The City of Grapevine has several handicap accessible playgrounds. One of the playgrounds that are specifically designed for total access by wheelchair patrons is Casey’s Clubhouse at Dove Park. All other playgrounds are accessible with wheelchair transfer stations. See locations and addresses.
Why are some of the park drinking fountains turned off during the winter months even though winter weather may be warm? Most of the drinking fountains at the various parks do not have plumbing parts that are freeze proof. Therefore, to guard against pipes and fixtures bursting in freezing weather, the Park Maintenance staff winterizes(drains the lines and shuts off the water source) from approximately December 1 through April 1, each year. The newer freeze-proof fountains are left on throughout the year, regardless of the weather.
Will the Park Maintenance Division chemically treat to control Poison Ivy/Poison Oak on City properties? Yes. The Park Maintenance staff will chemically treat Poison Ivy/Poison Oak only in developed parks or designated usage areas. Poison Ivy/Poison Oak will not be sprayed in the lake parks, greenbelts, or any other undeveloped City-owned properties.
Does the Parks and Recreation Department cut and remove hazardous or dead trees in lake parks, green belts or other undeveloped City-owned property?The Parks and Recreation Department treats the above referenced properties as nature areas, and fallen trees and logs are left in place for wildlife habitat or refuge. Only if a hazardous tree is on the outer edge of a wooded area and/or near areas where children play, the tree would be cut down to lessen the safety risk.
Who picks up dog waste in parks? It is unlawful for any person owning or having control or custody of any animal to permit or allow the animal to defecate within City parks (Section 4-10c of the City Code). It is the responsibility of the person owning or the person having control of the animal, to dispose of the animal’s feces. Residents can report violators to the Animal Control Division (817.410.3370).
Is the use of a metal detector in Grapevine City parks allowed?Yes. There are no city ordinances prohibiting the use of metal detectors in parks in Grapevine. However, we would hope that citizens would use them in the undeveloped park areas, especially near Grapevine Lake. We do not want citizens to use them on irrigated turf, specifically the athletic fields. *On City Leased property around Grapevine Lake sometimes a permit is required through the Army Corps of Engineers.
How many hike and bike trails does the Parks and Recreation Department have?The Parks and Recreation Department has a total of 73.89 miles of Hike-and-Bike Trails located throughout the City.
Are alcoholic beverages permitted in City Parks?Per City Ordinance Sec. 16-6. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in parks. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), it shall be unlawful for any person to possess or consume any alcoholic beverage in a public park of the city. (c) Consumption of alcoholic beverages is permitted at Grapevine Lake and the reservoir area as provided by Section 16-55.
May motorized vehicles such as dirt bikes and All Terrain Vehicles (ATV’s) be ridden on city or park property?No, per City Ordinance Sec. 16-10, City and park properties are marked with signage prohibiting motorized vehicles in the parks and trails because they are dangerous to pedestrians, damage turf and can cause erosion.
I want to host a Walk/Run to benefit an ailing relative/friend, what do I have to do?You must complete a Special Event Permit available on this website.
I want to adopt a Street/Park/Trail in Grapevine. How do I do that?Please contact Cindy Harris, Volunteer Services Supervisor, at or 817.410.3490 to inquire about a new or renewal area/contract. You may also visit Adopt-An-Area page of the site that explains more about the program.
Does the Parks and Recreation Department allow residents to gather fallen wood to use as firewood? No. Due to liability issues, the Parks and Recreation Department does not allow residents to gather fallen trees or wood from parks for use as firewood. Also, fallen trees provide much-needed habitat for nature.
Is there free mulch available to residents of Grapevine?Yes. Mulch is available to residents of Grapevine, free of charge – at north Main and Dove Road (near the trailhead which is beside Cross Timbers Winery).
Does the Parks and Recreation Department have any trees available for the residents of Grapevine to purchase for planting in residential lawns?Yes. The Parks and Recreation Department has a “Tree Sharing Program” . The program runs from October to December. For more information, please call 817.410.3122.
How do I rent a pavilion at one of Grapevine’s public parks or lake parks?For rentals, please reach out to You may also refer to the Rental Facilities section of this website for pricing, availability and more information.
When are Dove Park, Parr Park, and The REC of Grapevine spraygrounds open?May 1 – September 30 See the Aquatics section of this website for specific times for each location.
Where can I buy passes for Grapevine Pools?Find information for each pool including daily and season passes at
Are dogs allowed in Grapevine’s parks?Yes, but they must remain on a leash, per City Ordinance Sec. 16-47.
How can I purchase a Living Legacy Tree/Stone?We have temporarily paused this program. For more information, call administration at 817.410.3122.
Is the dog park fountain broken? It’s not turning on.You must push the button for the fountain to start.

The REC of Grapevine

Question Answer
Does The REC of Grapevine rent out classrooms, indoor playground, Stewart Hall & pool?Yes, The REC of Grapevine does rent out spaces upon availability. For more information, please email
Are the employees of a Grapevine business eligible for membership at The REC of Grapevine?Yes, at the non-resident rate. The business owners are eligible for a membership at the resident rate.
My children attend GCISD schools and I pay GCISD school taxes, may I sign up for a membership at The REC of Grapevine.You are eligible for a membership, but may be required to purchase a non-resident membership pass. One’s property taxes are what determine membership type. All school taxes are paid to GCISD and not the City of Grapevine. We are subsidized solely by property taxes. If your property taxes (not school taxes) are paid to the City of Grapevine, you are eligible for resident membership.
May non-residents participate in classes and activities offered at The REC of Grapevine?Yes. All recreational classes and activities are open to Grapevine residents and non-residents alike. Some classes/courses and/or activities may require an additional fee for non-residents.
Is it mandatory that young children entering The REC of Grapevine be accompanied by an adult at all times?Yes. Children ages 9 and under must be accompanied by an adult to enter The REC of Grapevine.
I live in Grapevine and would like to add my family members in a neighboring city to my REC membership, is that okay?No. They will need to purchase a non-resident membership to The REC of Grapevine.
At what age can my child use the fitness floor at The REC?Children 10-13 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian on the fitness floor. Children 14 and up may use the fitness floor by themselves.
I don’t live in Grapevine, may I join your Active Adults 55 & Better at The REC of Grapevine?The REC of Grapevine offers a Silver Sneakers, Renew Active, and a Silver & Fit pass, if eligible, for non-residents. Non-residents may still participate in Active Adults programs, but are required to have a regular membership pass. Check out memberships for The REC of Grapevine here.
What are the operating hours of The REC Active Adults 55 & Better?The Active Adults 55 & Better is open from 8:00am – 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. For more detailed information, contact the Active Adults 55 & Better front desk at 817.410.3465.
Is lunch offered at The REC Active Adults 55 & Better?Yes. Lunch is available Monday-Friday at 12:00pm. The Parks & Recreation Department, in partnership with Metroport Meals on Wheels, provides this service to our Active Adults. Lunch is $5 per person. Reservations must be made 48 hours in advance.
What is The Grape Affair and how do I get a subscription?The Grape Affair is a complimentary senior newsletter mailed to Grapevine residents aged 55 years and up. Please call the Active Adults 55 & Better front-desk staff at 817.410.3465 or fill out The Grapevine Affair form to be added to the mailing list.
Is there a membership fee to join The REC Active Adults 55 & Better?If you are a Grapevine resident, there is no fee to join the Active Adults 55 & Better. However, the Active Adults pass is valid Monday – Friday, 8:00 – 11:00 am for full use of the facility. One must be registered in order to participate in any of the activities including the lunch program. There may be occasional fees associated with certain classes, field trips or activities.
My mother just moved to Grapevine – how do I get her involved at The REC Active Adults 55 & Better?We suggest that you join your loved-one for the first visit to tour our facility. You may meet the staff, tour the building, and get an idea of the various activities we offer. We can also find out what your loved-one enjoys doing and make suggestions to plug them into programs they might enjoy. You will also have the opportunity to chat with other participants and find out first-hand how much fun they have at The REC Active Adults 55 & Better. For more information, you may call the Active Adults front desk at 817.410.3465.
I just recently retired, but I don’t want to sit around playing cards. Does The REC Active Adults 55 & Better offer anything for the more active, younger seniors?Yes. We offer a variety of activities and programs specified for the 55 years and older age group. Acknowledging the fact that a large group of mature adults will have a wide range of physical and mental abilities, we try to offer something for everyone. Our members enjoy the computer classes taught by competent volunteers, water aerobics, Tai Chi, quilting class, arts and crafts, oil painting, cycling, yoga, jewelry making, and various field trips. For more information, you may call the Active Adults front desk at 817.410.3465 or visit the 55 & Better section of the website.
How do I get to The REC of Grapevine to participate in the Active Adults 55 & Better programs?For Grapevine residents, we run two bus routes Monday through Friday. The vehicles leave The REC of Grapevine at 8:00 am to pick up those who have requested transportation. At 2:00 pm, the vehicles return individuals to their homes. Requests for transportation must be made 24 hours in advance.
Do you offer rides to doctor appointments?Yes. SeniorMovers is a volunteer program implemented to assist Grapevine’s senior residents (age 55 and over) with transportation to and from routine medical and dental appointments. A volunteer must complete an application and go through a criminal history background check and motor vehicle verification. Please contact The REC Active Adults 55 & Better front-desk staff at 817.410.3465 for a User Application to register with the program. SeniorMovers is used when other resources such as family, friends and NETS are unable to help with transportation.
How many family members can be on the same annual family membership at The REC of Grapevine?Up to 6 family members living in the same household can be on the same annual family membership. If individuals have different last names, proof of guardianship may be required. Everyone will receive their own membership card for scanning when entering the facility. Children under 9 years of age are to be always accompanied by an adult.
What age children are allowed in childwatch at The REC of Grapevine, and how long can they stay in there?The age bracket is 3 months – 9 years old. Each child is allowed to be in childwatch for up to two hours per day while guardians are in the building.
Does The REC Aquatic Center close for lightning?Yes. Upon recommendation from the American Red Cross, Centers for Disease Control, and National Lightning Safety Institute and the National Weather Service, we close for 30 minutes if lightning is within 5 miles of the facility. Click here to view the current lightning status.
If I don’t live in Grapevine but my children go to GCISD schools and I work in Grapevine, would I be eligible for a resident rate?No. If you do not have a Grapevine address, you would not be eligible for a resident rate.

Lake Parks & Grapevine Lake

What Lake Parks are fee areas?Meadowmere Park, Rockledge Park, Lakeview Park and all boat ramps are subject to a $5 fee. Holiday rates may apply.
If I have a boat ramp pass, do I have to pay the entrance fee?If you have an Annual Boat Ramp Pass, you do not have to pay the entrance fee, the annual pass includes entrance fees for Lake Parks & Boat ramps.
What is the lake level?Please contact the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at 817.865.2600 or click here to view the most recent lake levels: Lake Levels. For more information regarding Grapevine Lake, please visit the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Which boat ramps are open?Click to view our most up-to-date status of boat ramps. Pay for boat ramp parking passes in person at one of our lake park pay station kiosks.
I paid the boat ramp fee, but still received a ticket at the lake.If you feel as though the ticket was given in error, please contact the Grapevine Municipal Court at 817.410.3284.
I do not live in Grapevine, but I own property in Grapevine, am I eligible for the Grapevine resident discount when purchasing an Annual Boat Ramp Pass?Yes. You must provide proof of Grapevine property ownership, at the time of purchase, e.g. home ownership documents, water bill and photo I.D.
I want to have a Fishing Tournament on Grapevine Lake. Do I have to get a permit for this?Yes, please refer to the permit section of our website or contact our Lake Parks Manager.
Do I need a permit if I am only fishing catch and release at Grapevine Lake?Yes, a of our website or contact our fishing license is required by Texas Parks & Wildlife.
Do I need a permit to paddle board at Grapevine Lake?No, a permit is not required for paddle boarding on Grapevine Lake. We encourage you to check out our non-motorized boat ramp at of our website or contact our Lakeview Non-Motorized Launch.


What is the Parks and Recreation Department’s policy regarding various sports teams practicing in neighborhood parks & sports complexes?The City allows City-sponsored groups to schedule practices during the designated seasons through the Athletic Division. Grapevine Baseball & Softball (GBS) and other City-sponsored youth associations have priority use of the following auxiliary field sites in Grapevine: Parr Park, Pickering Park, Minnow Loop, and Trawick.
Does the city offer baseball & softball field rentals at Oak Grove Baseball, Oak Grove Softball, and Bear Creek Park?Grapevine Baseball & Softball (GBS) teams have priority usage of field assignments for practices each season. Any remaining field slots are available for field rentals, in addition to scheduled field maintenance. Outside groups may complete an application for field rentals to be reviewed by the Athletic Division by contacting Submission of application does not guarantee an assigned slot but is reviewed by City personnel for consideration. Fall applications open July 29-August 16.
Does the city offer soccer field rentals at Oak Grove Soccer and Meadowmere Soccer?Due to the high usage from City-sponsored associations and partners, the City does not offer field rentals to outside organizations or teams at Oak Grove Soccer and Meadowmere Soccer Complexes. However, The REC of Grapevine Turf Field is available for rentals based on availability. For more information, please contact
Does the city offer basketball court rentals?No. The REC of Grapevine basketball courts are utilized for members only for open play, except for scheduled programs and class enrollment. Neighborhood Park outdoor courts are used for open play for residents on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Are neighborhood park tennis & pickleball courts available to be reserved for exclusive use?No. Priority usage of the courts is given to City-contracted instructors and co-sponsored tournaments. Otherwise, they are on a first-come-first-served basis.
What youth sports leagues are offered in Grapevine?The Grapevine Parks & Recreation Department oversees the youth baseball & softball league and partners with local youth associations and GCISD to offer a variety of other sports. For more information on youth sports leagues, please visit the links below.

Extra Athletics Links